We made Bug Collections!
Our Budding Artists made bugs and put them in a jar.
First we drew a jar. We put holes in the lid so the bugs could breathe.
Then we added the bugs. We glued on paper shapes and used markers for the details. Then we cut out the jar and glued it to a piece of construction paper.
The afternoon camp created 3-D bugs out of paper, wire, felt, tiny pompoms, pipe cleaners, recycled materials, beads, and anything else we could find to make them look realistic.
Our bugs did not have to be models of real bugs. In fact, we made all of them up and named each one.
We made a display box for our bugs (it was actually an old cereal box but don't tell anyone). We placed a thin sheet of p\foam in the bottom and carefully arranged our bugs. The we straight pins to tack them down.
Then we invented names by looking at the physical characteristics of each bug (like black and yellow stripes of a Tiger Swallowtail) and we glued on name labels.
This is a Whacky-Eyed Fly.
This was a super-fun S.T.E.A.M. MakerSpace project!